day/poem 9



-- rewrite --


sitting in those plush seats
popcorn adorned, drink stain sticky
the lights go down, screen comes alive
opening credits roll

and he strides onto the scene
the hero
all swagger and iliad defined
every bad boy image that ever was
silver screen perfect, impossible

and i can feel you wishing yourself into his shoes
momentary bicep flex barely brushing your sleeve
your sleeve barely touching my arm
your touch barely reaching my heart

or maybe it’s me wishing you into that role
wishing you wanted to be more
than you ever really could
wanting your wishes to be
unrealistic and worth dreaming of

or maybe it’s me wishing us into some scene
technicolour sunset, all perfect reds and shimmer light heat haze
walking into it, arms entwined
using words like ‘love’ and ‘forever’
as though they hadn’t been learnt by rote
all our lines learnt by heart
perfect take every time

sitting in the cheap seats
silence as the story plays out
and i can feel me wishing us back to the casting stage
first read of the script
and taking it back to the writers
our red penned dissatisfaction
at the death of us before the final scene

closing credits role
and through the applause of others
carried away by the lies they’ve been fed
i can feel us wishing away
i can feel us slipping away
i can’t feel us

Comments

  1. wow... so much to like about this one, but I think the stanza:

    and i can feel you wishing yourself into his shoes
    momentary bicep flex barely brushing your sleeve
    your sleeve barely touching my arm
    your touch barely reaching my heart

    is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, lil - as always for reading, and leaving me a little kindness also xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. "sitting in the cheap seats"

    the only place worth looking for love

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On fear and being far from home when the fascism sets in

No point, just felt like writing (unedited)

a few to get me started